Monday, February 22, 2010

BYOG: BackYard Organic Gardening Project: Day 1....

The location...
Southern California, my backyard, middle of February.
The contender...
23 year old novice (very, very novice) gardener looking to change the world with one sustainable backyard garden at a time.

Let it begin!

Last week I started reading the copy of The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food by Denckla (amazing book, I really recommend it) that I bought my mom 2 years ago, and halfway through the preface I was so ready to grow organic food. I love to eat organic, but I don't love the prices and I also don't love that the closest Trader Joes is 25 miles away from my house, bummer. So I'm giving it a go in my own backyard; a completely organic garden.
Nervous.
Step one: digging up that weird bush/tree in the foreground that hasn't grown or changed, at all, in the 3 years we've lived here. I don't even know what it is! So it has to go first. Then, time to dig up the grass in front of the wall, that is where the garden will be, eventually. Then build a little wooden barrier around the area, and then...PLANT.

Ready to get dirty?

No comments:

Post a Comment